I’ve got a long To-Do list to accomplish today, and I’m feeling pretty determined to check off each and every one of those little ominous, empty boxes. Anyone else with me?! We’ll see if that goal actually becomes a reality…
For everyone else who has the classic case of the “Mondays,” here are a few stories from my past week that may give you a little kick or a laugh. And if not, I suggest coffee. Lots of coffee.
- You never really know exactly how “out of shape” you are until you participate in a public charity walk and an embarrassingly large number of grandmas who look as frail and fragile and a toothpick zoom past you in their Asics and yoga pants. Geez louise. And when you try to keep up to prove to not only yourself but also to the rest of the walkers beside you that you are, in fact, a “sprightly youth” bursting with energy, you trip. Brilliant.
- Who came up with the “Raise the Roof” arm motion? It is not becoming. On anyone. In any circumstance. Ever. And especially not in conversation with an older generation who has no idea what “roof” you’re “raising” and why you’re “raising” it. I should know this.
- The moment, when greeting someone, you both, through forced smiles, simultaneously say, “Hi! How are you doing?”. I hate those moments. I never know what to do. Do you jump in right away and risk speaking simultaneously again with the common “I’m doing good/fine!” response? Do you wait for the other person to respond and then respond to their initial question while furthering the conversation by responding to their “I’m doing fine!” response? I’ll tell you what you don’t do. You don’t acknowledge the awkwardness by saying “Oh boy! The simultaneous and awkward ‘How are you doing?’ greeting!”. Because not everyone understands the awkwardness…and some people will keep staring at you through their forced smile…wondering what you’re talking about…
- Food literally fell out of my mouth while eating this weekend. In “mid-chew.” And not just one time. At least one time every meal. I do what I can, everybody.
- Ordering a sparkling iced-tea from Caribou Coffee is such a great idea until you, not watching what you’re doing because you’re chatting with the cashier, jab your straw on the lid of your drink, miss the straw hole, and manage to pop off the cover of your iced-tea cup and spill all over the counter and your shirt. “Wow,” says the cashier, handing you a wad of napkins. “Gee thanks,” says the idiot who can’t fit a straw through a straw hole.
So, if you’re having “one of those days,” just take a moment to stop, breathe, and think, “Grace probably is having it worse.” 😉
I hope your Mondays are productive! Anyone else experiencing or just finished experiencing a “less-than-graceful” week? Do not worry. As you can tell from the list above and from these previous stories, you are not alone.
Happy Monday! 🙂