This world matters. The people in this world matter. And as one of those crazies who loves Jesus with a radical love, I believe in the biblical truth that God is eager for us to creatively care for this world and the people we encounter.
One way to do that is to get your hands dirty and do some creative work in your community, your church, your neighborhood, your home.
Another way is to team up with groups and organizations that are addressing particular needs in this world and help them in any financial or material way that you can.
Both methods are a good. Both methods are needed.
Here are 10 awesome organizations that could use some extras hands and extra funds.
Check them out:
- Partners in Health: Provides healthcare to the world’s poorest places—building, refining, and sustaining health systems across the globe.
- Compassion International: Fights to end child poverty and offer children around the globe spiritual, social, and economic opportunities through holistic child sponsorship and leadership development.
- Alzheimer’s Foundation of America: Helps to meet the educational, social, emotional, and practical needs of individuals, families, and caregivers facing dementia and related illnesses.
- Prevent Child Abuse America: Works to promote healthy childhood development and prevent child abuse before it can occur through education programs and prevention services.
- Center for Community Change: Gives low-income people, particularly people of color, the power and capacity to better their communities and public policies.
- The Conservation Fund: Creates a variety of pathways for communities to protect their natural resources and environments through strong partnerships with government and business organizations.
- Fund for Global Human Rights: Fights for human rights across the globe through on-the-ground, grassroots approaches.
- Innocence Project: Works to exonerate the wrongfully convicted through DNA testing and fights to reform the criminal justice system in order to prevent future injustices.
- Children’s Health Fund: Offers high quality medical care to disadvantaged children in America by developing a national network of healthcare programs; eliminating the impact of public health crises on children; and promoting the well-being and health of all children.
- Coalition for the Homeless: Assists homeless men, women, and children through their programs for housing, job training, AIDS, and advocacy while providing decent shelter, sufficient food, affordable housing, and job placement.
Obviously there are many many more groups and organizations that could be added to this list. If you’ve got any on your mind, send me an email and tell me about them!
You can check out a new list of awesome charities on the blog every month in my series Coffee Money Causes.
FYI: each of these organizations were ranked highly by charity watchdogs: CharityWatch, Charity Navigator, BBB Wise Giving Alliance. Before giving to a particular charity, I recommend checking their grade on these charity watchdog sites.