Shopping and Dead Philosophers

sometimes gracefullyWith graduate school underway and my social life disappearing like it’s life’s little magic trick, I’ve been spending a lot of time with this very Swiss and very dead linguist Ferdinand Saussure {not by choice, I might add}. Now, I love literary theory as much as the next girl {or the next girl…or, if we skip ahead about a dozen girls, then maybe that girl will love literary theory as much as I do…}, but it sure is hard to concentrate on poor ol’ Ferdinand’s frustrations with linguistic study when I’ve got a pumpkin spice latte next to me smelling so much like fall and some birthday money in the bank that my heart knows is screaming “Use me! Set me free from this jail cell that is your checking account!”

It’s tough to ignore those cries, ya know?

Sometimes GracefullyBut, try as I might searching my favorite shops online, I didn’t buy anything. How’s that for anti-climactic? Sorry if I let you down.

I think I have a problem…or maybe I’m just in a shopping rut. I seem to talk myself out of every purchase. I’ll see a gorgeous pair of boots and, knowing I can afford them, find some kind of excuse that keeps them on the shelves rather than in my closet.

sometimes gracefully blue shirtMaybe this is a sign of maturity? I’m re-evaluating my life’s priorities and distinguishing things of necessity and importance from things I just simply desire? Maybe I’m becoming a responsible and frugal woman who understands the difference between need and want?

Or maybe my financially responsible husband just won’t get out of my head.

Whatever the case, I’m hoping to escape this rut real soon, because autumn is here you guys. And I sure do love a good sweater and a comfy pair of brown boots….maybe I’ll check out Zara’s website?

….the cycle continues {cue ominous music}.

Sometimes GracefullyUntil then, it’s back to Ferdinand and his theories of semiology. But happy Friday! Anyone have any fun things planned for this weekend? I’ve got a few dates with a some more dead philosophers and linguists…a real lively bunch.

I have my father’s humor.

Have such a beautiful weekend! 🙂

• Reply Lucy September 6, 2013 at 11:19 am

Cute outfit! xx

• Reply sarahshelton September 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

I honestly think a shopping rut is a real thing. So much that, try as I might, I could not even find enough pieces to put together my Weekly Wishlist for Monday — and I don’t even have to spend money on that. Weird.

I hope you and Ferdinand have a great weekend together 😉

-Sarah

PS I linked your blog on my Happy Friday Weekend Links post 😀

• Reply Grace Beekman September 6, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thanks so much for the link! How cool! Love it! And yah this rut is so weird. Glad I’m not alone! 🙂

• Reply jennifer prod September 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm

lovely photos — and way to exercise that discipline! when does your program start? you could try and save the bulk up the work for winter?? i think snow days were how i got through grad school:)

• Reply Grace Beekman September 6, 2013 at 10:44 pm

My program started last week! I’m hoping for a couple of snow days this winter. Hopefully MinneSNOWta will cooperate with me! 😉

• Reply Sarah Bluett September 6, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Oh your hair looks so pretty! I love the curls!
    Sarah : )

• Reply John September 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Great photos, great expressivity in them.

Semiotics…neat! Might you be a fan of the Da Vinci Code?

Anyhow, good luck to you in your studies.

seaofwhitelight.blogspot.com

• Reply Grace Beekman September 6, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Thanks so much! I’ve never read the Da Vinci code (or seen the movie) but all I’ve heard are good things about it! I’ve gotta check it out!

• Reply LoveStyleHappiness September 6, 2013 at 9:00 pm

i love your hair! it totally reminds me of an 80s hair style (in a good way) =)

Maggie