On Others But Mostly Emily Dickinson

Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully

One of my classes this semester is a focused study of the American poet Emily Dickinson, a woman most commonly known as “that one crazy lady who wrote a ton of poems and who never left her house and was probably lonely and sexually frustrated,” among other things. Of course, some of that is true {some of it pure speculation…obviously}: Emily spent the majority of her life in her home town, writing poems and letters to friends and family as she gradually withdrew from society. I was reading a brief biography of her life in one of my college anthologies and came across this quote: “Emily Dickinson lived a more intense and passionate life than was thought by neighbors and acquaintances who saw her only as an eccentric, unmarried woman. Not even those closest to her knewΒ  fully the depth and extent of her emotions or that nearly 1,800 poems, tied neatly in packets found after her death, would reveal an immensely complex and passionate sensibility.”

Emily Dickinson lived during the 1800s, but the assumptions made by her neighbors and acquaintances are still problematic and apparent today. I kept substituting the names of those I’ve assumed were “strange” with Emily Dickinson’s name while I reread the quote: “____________ lived a more intense and passionate life than was thought by neighbors and acquaintances…”.Β  Dismissing those that are different can be so easy, and often times the consequence of that neglect is a whole lot of beautiful poems and a beautiful soul undiscovered until too late. I don’t mean to say that you have to enjoy Emily Dickinson or her poetry, but I think that a lot of people in this world {like Miss Emily} could use a bit more love and appreciation than what they’re used to receiving, if they receive any at all.

Sometimes Gracefully

Sometimes Gracefully

So let’s do it! It’s Tuesday, which means Monday is over {praise the good Lord} and today is ready for the taking! Let’s carpe the crap out of this diem and show somebody a little extra love. I’m convinced that’ll make this Tuesday a whole lot brighter. πŸ™‚

Have a marvelous day!

• Reply Pamela Runsick February 4, 2014 at 8:55 am

Love that jacket!! It’s such a great color! Those boots are amazing too!

Pamela

• Reply Brooke February 4, 2014 at 11:44 am

Love love love this application of Dickinson’s life to life now! I quite agree and, if you read her stuff, it’s easy to see that the lady was certainly interesting to say the least!

• Reply Everyday Coffee February 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Interesting post and pics! I love the poetry of Emily Dickinson and these shots are amazing!

Kisses

Francesca http://everydaycoffee23.blogspot.it

• Reply Stylishlyme February 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Love the application to today! People are very quick to judge because it’s so easy to make assumptions. Cute photos! The snow looks beautiful – it hasn’t really snowed that much in Ca since it hasn’t rained.

-V

• Reply jennifer prod February 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm

emily dickinson has always been one of my favorite poets (my list of favorites is extremely long, but still) and i’d pay big bucks to go back in time and share a cup of coffee with the lovely lady. have you heard about susan cain’s new book quiet? i’m reading now, and it’s all about the power of introverts in a world focused on the extrovert ideal (i feel like i already mentioned this to you perhaps?) anyway, emily would a perfect example of the gorgeous mind inside a quiet exterior πŸ™‚

• Reply Sweet Perdition February 5, 2014 at 4:35 am

estas guapisima con esa chaqueta! me encanta!

• Reply Tori February 14, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hey girl–you look amazing even with all the snow πŸ™‚ I love that jacket! I am a new follower coming over from the spotlight link up and am excited to see more of your site!

Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

• Reply Kenya @ Kenya L Fashion Blog February 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm

This is such a cute look! Love your style! I am a sucker for anything graphic so I love your top!! And the jacket is perfect!

xo, Kenya