Too Many Mugs. A Whole Lot of Memories.

Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully

Do you collect anything? On our honeymoon, Darrin and I decided that we wanted to commemorate our trip and the favorite places we visited by bringing home a mug from each major destination. We traveled to the San Juan Islands for a day and went whale watching {seriously such a beautiful place and wonderful experience}. We visited the original Starbucks {obviously} and went to a Seattle Mariner’s game. Because we drove from Minnesota to Seattle, we had our car so we drove to Mount Saint Helen’s and did some hiking and good ol’ nature loving. These are just a few of our mugs {a few were still in the dishwasher…I thought I’d spare you the coffee stain picture… 😉 }. I’ve loved collecting these with Darrin and remembering one of our favorite trips together over waffles and bacon on a Saturday morning.

What about you? Do you collect anything? Darrin is a lover of Batman comic books, so we’ve got an entire row on our bookcase dedicated to the Dark Knight. I’ve saved every letter and love note Darebear has ever written to me. Sappy, I know, but I was a lovesick puppy in high school, pining for that cute redheaded boy across the classroom {read all about that here if you’re up for a mushy-gushy, roll your eyes and shout “Oh Brother” kind of story}. There’s something special about how certain objects or letters or paintings or books can evoke such vivid memories. Every time I have coffee from the Seattle Mariner’s mug, I think about laughing with Darrin and trying to avoid the seagulls swooping through the stadium. Or when Darrin uses the San Juan Islands mug, I can always picture him trying to hold our camera as steady as he could while the boat dipped and rocked, just so I could have one great shot of an orca coming to the surface {what a guy!}.

So what do you collect?  Also, because I’ve got this weakness for all things coffee, you can shop some cute mugs below! 🙂

Happy Tuesday!

• Reply Liliana February 11, 2014 at 8:19 am

OMG Thomas + I are doing the same thing, I love coffee and so does he so we thought why not collect mugs for our new home! Love the mugs you collected so far.

• Reply Grace Beekman February 12, 2014 at 7:42 am

It’s such a fun memento, right? And who doesn’t love good memories and coffee?! 😉

• Reply Caitlin | The Siren's Tale February 11, 2014 at 10:15 am

I love the St. Helene mug 🙂 What a fun, cool tradition to start! Imagine how many cabinets you’ll need by your 50’s to accommodate all the trips and fun. I collect anything vintage, but especially books. My guy and I also save all of our love notes, cards, notes, etc. to each other like you two do. It’s fun looking back on them and reminiscing.

• Reply Grace Beekman February 12, 2014 at 7:41 am

I know right?! I’m going to need a lot of kitchen space in the future…or a “mug pantry” or something. And those notes are so fun to keep and reread! Love it!

• Reply Jamie February 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

I always snag a coffee mug from places I travel. It makes me so happy to bust out a mug from a certain place & think about the memories attached to it while sipping my coffee!

• Reply Grace Beekman February 12, 2014 at 7:40 am

Agreed! And they’re each so unique! Love it!

• Reply Emily February 11, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Ah this is such a lovely idea! I just read your story of how you and Darrin met and it is so adorable! The fact that you never fight or argue shows that you’re both meant to be! It gives us all hope!

x

• Reply jennifer prod February 11, 2014 at 5:18 pm

i loved this post – the mugs and the lovel-etters and everything they mean to you is just so sweet 🙂 oddly enough, jon and i don’t collect anything – we’re both pretty extreme minimalists (and can’t really change since our apt is so small) we try to take lots of pictures to remember all the moments 🙂

• Reply Grace Beekman February 12, 2014 at 7:41 am

Thanks girly! I’m so glad you stopped on by!

• Reply Kasey Moffitt February 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I collected mugs for the longest time as well! But sadly had to give them away once we got rid of one of our annoying kitchen cabinets. I just like to think that somebody else on this planet will enjoy them as much as I did!

• Reply Vanessa February 14, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I collect Starbucks mugs from places that I adore. So not every place get’s to be remembered in mug form 😉 I try to take as many pictures as possible. I also started to think about collecting travel posters (vintage) from places I’ve been.I thought it would be a cool decoration for the wall.