Less-Than-Graceful-Moments

Sometimes GracefullyHappy Monday, everyone!

Today, we’re discussing bridal shower awkwardness, because I most certainly had my share of “less-than-graceful” bridal shower moments this weekend, and it was not in the least bit pleasant.

1. Arriving too early to the bridal shower: This is definitely a problem, right? When you arrive too early to a shower for a bride you don’t really know, it’s difficult to balance whether you should help the hosts finish “getting ready” or if you should try to find a nice corner that matches your sweater so you can blend into the wall and not “get in the way.” What is not advisable is talking to an almost-deaf grandma about how awkward it is to arrive early to “things like these”….she will 1) not completely understand you, and 2) interrogate you about who you “really are” and how you “know” the couple….I most definitely picked the wrong seat.
  2. Presentation is everything: You know you’re off to a bad start when you have to hastily wrap your bridal shower gift in Christmas wrapping paper because you overestimated your wrapping paper supply. My gift looked great sitting next to the perfectly cute and sweet DIY wrap jobs….SHOW OFFS.
  3. Small-talk sucks: I am consistently running out of small-talk topics. Especially with old women. I wish I could just tell the person I’m “small-talking” with, “Hey buddy, that’s all I got. I’m fresh out of topics. I’m going to go sit down now.” But it’s just not that easy. The conversation ends…we both look at the ground…I sniffle because of a stuffy nose…the lady says “Hmm?”…and I respond “Oh I didn’t say anything…”…then our eyes go back to the floor…then, “I think I’m going to find the drinks!”…”Great idea!”….and we then physically remove ourselves from each others’ presence.  It’s the only way. And it’s the worst.
  4. Alcohol: Now, not every bridal shower has alcohol, and I for sure respect that. But I’m not one to shy away from a glass of white wine if one is offered to me. I love a good Chardonnay. The problem arises when I consistently misplace my glass of almost-finished wine and retreat back to the kitchen to fill a new glass. By the end of the shower, I had found all 4 of my glasses (don’t worry…they were small) in random spots around the house, and I had to chug each one before I left. Real classy, Gracie.
  5. Old ladies: Don’t argue with them. When the grandma next to you says that she bought the bride “vanilla colored” towels because the bride said she didn’t want white towels, do not tell that grandma that vanilla is white. When the great aunt on the other side of you asks if you’re “keeping youthful” in your marriage {I’m sorry, but what?!}, just nod your head and say “Yes…real youthful…” while slowing shoving a large piece of cake into your mouth. Maybe I’ll be as creepy when I’m an old lady…I think I deserve that power.

Heading to two bridal showers in one day can really tire you out! Anyone else experience any awkward bridal shower moments? Not necessarily as a bride {I have my fair share of those stories…} but as a guest?

I hope your Mondays are stress-free! 🙂

• Reply Sarah Heckle November 4, 2013 at 7:20 am

Bahahahah. Bridal showers and baby showers always make for awkward situations. I think that’s why the movie Bridesmaids is so funny … because it’s SO true!

• Reply Grace Beekman November 5, 2013 at 7:11 am

Oh my I didn’t even think about that movie! SO funny and you’re right about it being SO true! Those long, awkward speeches where everyone tries to prove how much they love the bride…haha! Darrin and I need to rewatch that one again.

• Reply Jaklyn Cato November 4, 2013 at 8:26 am

This post made me smile, I feel like everyone can relate, especially to the loud, unfiltered Grandma situations!

• Reply Grace Beekman November 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

I know, right?! Grandmas can be wonderful and frightening all at the same time. 😉

• Reply Isabel Rendón Guerrero November 4, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hi Grace! Thanks for the post, in Spain we’re not used to celebrate parties like this, but I’ve heard a lot of them! Seems that although the awkward situations, you had fun!

mariquitina
    xoxo

• Reply Lynn-Holly November 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I think we’ve all been there. Classic go-to move at a shower that you have to attend but don’t know the bride thaaat well, and only know about 5% of the people at the shower is to offer to take pictures. The camera is a GREAT barrier against small talk!

Happy Monday!
    Lynn-Holly from The Attic

threesistersattic.blogspot.com

• Reply Grace Beekman November 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

You’re a genius! Love that idea. I’d be snapping pictures of people who didn’t even want one, just to avoid those crazy but wonderful grandmas… 😉

• Reply jennifer prod November 4, 2013 at 8:58 pm

oh goodness, i’m giggling over how true all of these moments are. just remind yourself that a fun wedding follows a bridal shower, and, luckily, weddings allow for dates/dancing/even more cake 🙂

• Reply Grace Beekman November 5, 2013 at 7:08 am

Amen to the dancing and to the cake. Cake makes everything better. 😉

• Reply Hailey Peterson November 4, 2013 at 11:38 pm

hahahahah I love this. I am just barely starting getting into a bridal shower season, it was like these last two months have been like bam now everyone get married. Yes I am still single. But these things are great to know. But I am with ya on the “small talk”. I went to a bridal shower and only really knew the bride. So I sat in the corner trying to avoid all small talk that I could… cause lets face it. I suck at small talk, unless you want me to go off on some tangent about Gossip Girl haha

• Reply Grace Beekman November 5, 2013 at 7:08 am

I know, right?! Once we hit “wedding season,” then I start running into people I’ve seen at other bride’s showers and I have nothing to discuss with them because I’ve already exhausted my small talk topics with them at the shower before! Why must this be so difficult?! Haha 😉

• Reply eunicia balaj November 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

love this photo, everything contrasts together!

xx,