My Less-Than-Graceful Moments

Sometimes Gracefully Monday

Happy Monday! Hopefully your weekends were relaxing! Darrin and I hopped from one family to the next, saying goodbye to our sisters before they headed off to college. Thanks for your Netflix suggestions! I’d like to start watching Dexter with Darrin, but he’s not a fan of those somewhat disturbing thrillers, so we’ll see if he’ll hop on the “serial killer TV bandwagon.” πŸ˜‰

Anyways, let’s talk less-than-graceful and embarrassing moments from this past week.

1. I went to a nearby coffee shop this week to use a gift card that wouldn’t properly scan at the register. After waiting at the counter for at least 7 minutes, making awkward conversation about the “frustrations of technology” while a long line of impatient coffee drinkers {the worst kind of customers…} started forming behind me, my gift card finally scanned to reveal that it was empty. And I had left my wallet in the car. Sorry for this interruption, everybody…you may now resume your regular morning routine…
  2. Have you ever zoned-out in the middle of a conversation and asked a question that you didn’t hear, only to respond with an answer that doesn’t make sense and reveals your moment of “fake listening”? This situation happened to me too many times this week. I may need a hearing aid. Or more interesting topics of conversation.
  3. One Direction’s “Story of My Life” came on the radio at the exact moment Darrin and I parked our car in our parking garage, so we stayed in the car for that extra 3 minutes of boy band harmonies and jammed to our favorite guilty pleasure. Listening to One Direction isn’t the embarrassing part of this story. I mean, YOLO or something, right? But my dance moves in the passenger seat, however, were definitely less-than-graceful.
  4. Darrin thought it would be fun for me to try to move an Oreo from my forehead into my mouth without using my hands (a Minute To Win It sensation). It was fun, up until the Oreo cookie spread crumbs all over my face. Nothing says “crazy Saturday night” like Oreo crumbs stuck in your eyes.
  5. I burnt my toast twice this week. That may not seem like a big deal, but I’d call that the ultimate cooking low for me. And it happened twice. Consecutively.

How about you? Any less-than-graceful moments from this past week?

Have a rockin’ Monday! Thanks for reading! πŸ™‚

• Reply Dina Karivalis January 13, 2014 at 7:19 am

I love that you share your less than gracefully moments on here! I’ve definitely had that gift card thing happen to me before!

xo Dina

• Reply Liliana January 13, 2014 at 8:51 am

Oh my gosh i hate when that happens, I once had the same situation happen to me, I swore I had money in a gift card and I even argued with the clerk and then I remembered in the back of my head that i did use it before, but i just said whatever and payed with something else lol. I wasn’t going to admit to it lol!

• Reply Grace Beekman January 14, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I would have done the same thing! I never keep proper track of how much money I have left on the gift card, and then I end up looking like an idiot at the register! Such is my life. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Caitlin @ The Siren's Tale January 13, 2014 at 10:21 am

I love these Monday posts… they always give me a good laugh as the work week returns. This past week, I ordered coffee at a drive thru while I was still half asleep on the way to work. When I got to the drive thru window, I had my car window rolled up and just sat there, zoned out. Finally the barista knocked on my window to ask if I was okay, if I wanted to pay, or if I changed my mind. So embarrassing!

• Reply Grace Beekman January 14, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Ah! How funny! I’m glad I’m not the only one who randomly escapes to these “zoned-out” places! Haha! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Jamie January 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I tend to zone out mid-conversation frequently. It’s an awful habit. And I’ve had a similar situation happen at a coffee shop. Only my debit card wouldn’t work, which was humiliating and frustrating as can be. Poor angry customers behind me.

Jamie @
    The Growing Up Diaries

• Reply Grace Beekman January 14, 2014 at 9:38 pm

It’s the worst, right? And you can just feel the impatience of the person behind you breathing down your neck! Gah! Glad I’m not alone though! πŸ˜‰

• Reply jennifer prod January 13, 2014 at 6:21 pm

ohmygoodness, did the barista give you a free coffee? i can just sense how awkward that must have felt – and also such a letdown – you were probably super excited about getting to use your gift card :/

• Reply Grace Beekman January 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

No free coffee. Just a “sorry, miss” and a fake smile. Such a bummer! I stopped at the gas station and bought myself a donut instead, so my morning was saved! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Rachel Garay January 15, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Was it Starbucks rewards gold card system?

• Reply sweetandreckless January 13, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I’ve had some encounters just like yours. I’ve had so many moment especially with coupons, where I missed a word and was mistaken by grabbing a different item only to argue and find out they were right, lol. it was an embarrassing moment for me.

• Reply Grace Beekman January 14, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I’ve done that before too! Coupons can be surprisingly frustrating!