Hiking At Gooseberry Falls

Gooseberry Falls 4 Gooseberry Falls 1 Gooseberry Falls 5 Gooseberry Falls 3 Gooseberry Falls

I was not much of a hiker until I started dating Darrin. I was convinced that hiking was just really intense walking on sometimes questionable terrain. And if I’m going on a walk, I prefer my walks to be easy-going. Casual. Free from the fear of tripping over a massive tree root or sliding down a rocky hill. So when I say “not much a hiker,” I actually mean “not a hiker.” At all.

But Darrin is a hiker. And when I decided that I was going to marry this redheaded hunk, I also decided to reevaluate my relationship with hiking. And I’m sure glad I did.

Gooseberry Falls 7 Gooseberry Falls 2 Gooseberry Falls 6

We made a stop at Gooseberry Falls on our drive to Lutsen and hiked down to the lower waterfalls of the Gooseberry River. The trails to the falls are easy to hike, even offering visitors a wooden staircase that leads right to the rocks along the water. I could have spent the entire afternoon staring at the waterfall and inching closer and closer to the water. Our afternoon at Gooseberry was apparently a popular time of day to visit. There were lots of families keeping a close eye on their kids hopping across the rocks or swimming in the water. I’ll admit that I prefer Gooseberry Falls without the crowds. I prefer practically everything without the crowds. But we didn’t much care about the busy families or whining kids because that waterfall, you guys. Sure does hog all of your attention.

I’m sure we’ll meet again, Gooseberry!

• Reply Amber | All the Cute July 14, 2015 at 9:05 am

Great photos!! Glad you got to enjoy the trip without a ton of people… I agree that crowds can be annoying, and sometimes certain moments, like enjoying nature in peace, are better off without lots of others around!

Amber
    All the Cute
    Recent Post: The Little Mermaid at Chicago Shakes Theater on Navy Pier

• Reply Grace July 14, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I SO agree! And I was slightly nervous about one of the kids accidentally pushing me in…haha.

• Reply Danielle July 14, 2015 at 10:43 am

Love your blog! Looks like you had a great time! Pictures are beautiful! I am not much of a hiker either but I think it is always something I want to do more of.
    Danielle

• Reply Grace July 14, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for stopping by, girly! I was definitely not a hiker, but it sure is hard to capture the beauty of a waterfall on the camera! I definitely would love to go on more hikes! See things in person! 🙂

• Reply Kristin July 14, 2015 at 12:13 pm

So, I just discovered your blog and stalked your archives-every single post (did you know you have 97 pages of posts? You do and I went through them all and my husband can now recognize your face and knows you as “that new blogger I really like”). Hopefully you’re not too creeped out…but seriously, thanks for taking the time to create a blog that is not only funny and stylish, but truly inspirational. The last few days (because it takes a while to be a creeper) I’ve been more inspired to make the most out of life, and also not to get too frustrated when things don’t go perfectly. Like when I spilled cider vinegar all over the cupboard the other day…I just tried to think of it as an anecdote in a “Less than Graceful Mondays” post, viewing it with more humor and less “why am I such an idiot/why does vinegar smell so strongly!!”.

On another note (although possibly sticking with the “creepy” theme), I have actually been to Gooseberry Falls! I live in Chicago and have been to approximately 3 different locations in Minnesota and that’s one of them! It really is beautiful

• Reply Grace July 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Oh this just made my day! Haha! So glad you found the blog (and hello to your hubby who got roped into reading it! ha!)! Thanks so much for your sweet words, and I love your attitude. Life would just be too darned boring if it all went perfectly. 😉 Three cheers for spilled cider vinegar!

Also love that you’ve been to Gooseberry! Isn’t it gorgeous? And so simple to hike (aka I wasn’t awkwardly panting for breath by the time I reached the water)! My kind of state park!

• Reply Samantha Topham Hatch July 14, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I haven’t heard of Gooseberry falls so I googled it and fount out it is in Minnesota. I only recently found your blog and I don’t know much about you but are you from Minnesota? Its so fun to hear how people in different parts of the US (or world) enjoy life. Hope you’re having a great day!

–Samantha

• Reply Grace July 14, 2015 at 4:32 pm

So glad you stopped by! Yes! I live in Minnesota, and my husband and I love exploring parts of our home state! Such a fun way to keep falling in love with your home! 🙂