About Bed Sheets and Other Marriage Nonsense

Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes GracefullyAs sacred and beautiful and frustrating and rewarding as marriage is, there’s a whole lot of nonsense involved that’s really not nonsense at all but, in the grand scheme of all things “lofty” and “meaningful,” is definitely nonsense. Like bed sheets.

It’s no secret that Darrin is much taller than I am. More than a foot taller, to be not so exact. I’m about 5’1 {on a good day}, and he’s a solid 6’2 {it’s those Dutch roots of his…}, so our height difference is more than apparent. Most of the time I’m praising the good Lord that I found myself a tall man, because the kitchen cupboards in our apartment are obnoxiously high and my upper body strength is less than noteworthy, so Darebear puts away all of the heavy and highly placed dinnerware. It’s a win-win for all involved {which is usually just me}.

025 Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes GracefullyBut since we’ve been married, I’ve noticed that my dashingly tall, redheaded Dutchman continually untucks the sheets on his side of the bed every night before falling asleep. Every night. I don’t move very much when I sleep {kind of like a vampire…or Sheldon Cooper, if any of you watch The Big Bang Theory}, so my side of the bed is neat and tidy when I wake up. Darebear, on the other hand {and physically onΒ the other side}, is a sleeping mover and shaker, so his side of the bed has got sheets tangled and twisted every which way. I honestly don’t know how he does it. It’s like he’s tackling a bear in his sleep or something. And every night before bed he prepares himself for battle by untucking the bed sheets that I so carefully tucked that morning {not bitter at all…} so he has more room to move. And every morning I retuck those same bed sheets when I make the bed. A compelling blog post topic, I know. My life is measured in bed sheet tucking.

Do any of you untuck your bed sheets before bed just to retuck them in the morning? Do you move a lot when you sleep?

Darrin also twitches right before he falls asleep. He’s hit me in the face a couple of times. I may just have to force him to sleep in a sleeping bag on the bed if he’s going to keep twitching like crazy and smacking me in the arm. πŸ˜‰

Sometimes Gracefully Sometimes Gracefully

So like I said at the start of this blog post, some parts of marriage are just silly and nonsensical. And I suppose some blog posts are nonsensical too {this one being one of them}.

On that note, thanks for reading! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Caitlin | The Siren's Tale January 29, 2014 at 9:44 am

Too funny! Sleeping patterns in marriage and relationships can be so weird. I’m a sleepy mover and shaker too, and end up bashing my guy in the face repeatedly through the night. I figure it’s okay since he randomly has night terrors and wakes up screaming at the top of his lungs. Who would have thought sleeping could be so active?! Haha.

• Reply Grace Beekman January 29, 2014 at 11:17 pm

It’s so crazy how much Darrin moves in his sleep too! I’ll show him a bruise on my arm and tell him it’s from him sleeping and twitching…he never believes me! Ha!

• Reply Sarah Heckle January 29, 2014 at 10:53 am

Chris twitches too. He falls asleep SO fast … and I’m always left laying there feeling twitch and listening to him snore. Not fair!

• Reply Grace Beekman January 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Oh I feel your pain, girl. Most of the time I can fall asleep before Darrin…but if I can’t, I keep pushing him onto his side to stop the snoring! Haha!

• Reply Ana Filipa January 29, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hey I found your blog. ItΒ΄s amazing and I am following you now. Hope you can visit my blog.

• Reply Grace Beekman January 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thanks girl! Glad you stopped by! πŸ™‚

• Reply Sara - Window On My Wardrobe January 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm

What a beautiful look, Simple with grey and black, but that statement necklace really adds the glam!
    Count me in as your newest follower, I really like yout style!

X Sara

• Reply Grace Beekman January 29, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thanks so much! Glad you stopped by! Yeah I’m a big fan of fun jewelry. Got to glam it up sometimes! πŸ™‚

• Reply Britt+Whit January 29, 2014 at 12:50 pm

love your hair in this! cute look! stay warm!

love from San Francisco,

Britt+Whit

• Reply jennifer prod January 29, 2014 at 5:11 pm

bed sheets are definitely not non-sense.. more like an intriguing topic of conversation? better than just the cupboards anyway, right? even though i’m sure you could pull a good story out of those πŸ™‚ unfortunately for me, jon sleeps still as can be and i wake up horizontal most mornings (with my feet on his stomach)…

• Reply Selective Potential January 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm

First, you have insanely beautiful hair. Just had to get that statement out of the way. πŸ˜‰

Second, Eric goes nuts in his sleep! I’m constantly making the bed every single day. I think he subconsicously just hates tucked-in sheets and destroys them every night! Haha!

• Reply Grace Beekman January 29, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I feel ya, girl! I don’t know how Darrin doesn’t wake up randomly with all of the movement he does in his sleep. It’s like he’s doing weird yoga poses or something because our sheets are everywhere and I end up awake and cold! Geez boys! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Grace Beekman January 29, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Yes. The sheet stealing issue. I’m always waking up cold because Darrin steals the sheets, so I might have to try using individual blankets from now on!

• Reply rebecca January 30, 2014 at 2:08 am

My man twitches – I find it super cute. Were both movers and shakers so we dont use a top sheet!

x